Great little adapter sample that essentially allows us to implement pipeline processing without routing the message anywhere. As per the name the NULL adapter effectively throws away or terminates a message sent to it and cleanly shuts down without suspending messages etc. I’ve used this adapter on a number of projects successfully but always seem to forget the steps to install and configure on my development box. Logged here for future reference,
- Ensure the source code is signed and compile and GAC it. Post build events are handy here.
- Ensure the paths to the assembly are correct in the NullAdapter.reg file.
- Import NullAdapter.reg using RegEdt.exe
- Import NullAdapter.reg using RegEd32.exe
- Use the 32 bit version of regasm to register the assembly, other wise the BizTalk admin console will throw error 80050154 when you try to configure the NULL adapter on a port. Regasm can be found at for example, C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
Job done! Of course you then need to register the adapter with BizTalk by opening up the BizTalk Administration console and adding the adapter under Platform Settings->Adapters.
Oh, and you can get the adapter source code from here. The sample is from way back in the BTS04 days but I’m using it on BizTalk 2013 at the moment without any problems at all. The adapter framework hasn’t changed a whole lot to my knowledge.