Today was my chance to take a real look at SharePoint Foundation 2010. I’ve got to say I like what I’m seeing but setting it up and getting it to work proved to be the best part of a days work. Issues as follows,
- Standalone install failed as the SQL Express “SharePoint” service refused to start with a 17058 error.
- Can no longer do a server farm install using a local account as was the case with WSS 3.0.
- An in place upgrade over a WSS 3.0 environment caused an application crash when configuring the BizTalk Server SharePoint adapter via the BizTalk configuration wizard. The wizard was trying to run stsadm which generated a fatal error. Note the BizTalk configuration wizard continued reporting success. From that point on I couldn’t get the BizTalk SharePoint adapter web service to function correctly so ended up nuking SharePoint Foundation 2010 and WSS 3.0 and installing from scratch, which worked.
- When configuring a standalone install of SharePoint Foundation 2010 it hijacks the default website by automatically creating a SharePoint site on port 80 and disabling the default web site. Not a big deal but annoying.
- The SharePoint configuration wizard failing on step 2 due to running out of memory. I was only running 1GB on my VM and had to jack it up to 4GB to get past step 2.
- The 10 step SharePoint configuration wizard taking over 4hrs to complete chewing 100% CPU throughout!!!! I googled around a bit and I was in good shape as others were reporting over 24hrs. After my 4hr wait the wizard completed and everything looks good.
- Good to see Microsoft have improved the progress bars too. At one stage when installing the SharePoint prerequisites I was downloading 36MB of 24MB. 😉
So it took the best part of a day installing and uninstalling to finally get BizTalk Server 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2010 to play nice. I didn’t even have to blink when setting up WSS 2.0 and 3.0.
Update : Just done another install and config of SharePoint Foundation 2010 using the exact steps I undertook this morning, on an identical cloned VM hosted on the exact same machine and guess what, the install and configuration took 25 minutes instead of 4 hrs.